Monday, September 13, 2010

I Still Love You, Dearest Blog

Nahoon Beach, East London
I have been a terrible blogger..

Deserted my darling for almost a week and a half. It's been a busy little week.

Had my darling friend, Alez, visit me all the way from Slumtown, East London to all you geographical-slang ignoramuses :) East London is known for it's beautiful beaches, the girl/boy ratio being 12:1, and not much else.

We did some research for my blog, testing the burgers at Rafiki's, (read - testing our alcohol levels), stopping for really bad espressos at the Mexican Kitchen, more on that later, and basically just being girly girls! Alie did plenty of shopping too. I mean it is the Mother (of all shopping) City!

We went to Rafiki's on Wednesday.. Two burgers for R89.95... The burgers were huge, aptly named Mountain Burger, or something like that. Lots of guacamole and salad. Good deal, but I wasn't in love with the patties. I still am gonna praise Narona with their amazing burgers, start drooling just thinking about their cheeseburger! The vibe is awesome, though. Feels like you're back in the early 90's, but in the best way, because of the way the people are dressed and the bar decor. IT"S OLD SKOOL!  The peeps are chilled out, just there to pass some time, drink some beer and hang out with their friends.

There are few things I love more than good mexican food, and good coffee. Combining the two makes for a very content Carmie. So this is what I ordered when Alie, her James Dean lookalike and I went to the Mexican Kitchen in Bloem street. I ordered a small portion of the Nachos, I love how they use coriander in the mix,  it was delish as usual.. The espresso... not so much. I was handed a small cup half-filled with watery filter coffee. It had obviously been standing a while, because it was cold, and there was no crema at all... :( I was sad. We also ordered a jug of the yummy frozen margheritha they are known so well for. R70- R85, enough for 3 people to have 2 glasses - BARGAIN! The thing about the Mexican Kitchen is, their food and margeritha pitchers are always awesome, and quick, but the service is not always so great, I think the waiters have giant stoner sessions in the back of the restaurant, they seem to forget that you are there... But I will keep going back, as long as the food is so good. Mexican is in my top two favourite food list.

More tomorrow about this yummy new Doner Kebap place in Long street - it's totally authentic Turkish yummyness! And also do yourselves a favour and have susho @ Tong Luk... I'll post my pics of their amazing fishy creations tomorrow as well.