Thursday, January 26, 2012

Linton Kwesi Johnson - Dub Poet

Please allow me to introduce you to the amazing dub poet Linton Kwesi Johnson. 


Born in Jamaica and raised in the UK, Johnson is one of two living poets to have his work published in the Penguin Classic Series, and the only black poet. So he must be pretty damn good. 


Aweh.


Y'all know how much I love ska and dub, so when I came across LKJ I was ecstatic. 


LKJ sets his mainly politically themed poetry to soul shaking dub-reggae music, rapping about the hardships he has experienced living as an Afro Caribbean in the UK during the seventies and eighties.




When I listen to his music, I immediately think of Maxi Jazz from Faithless. Both artists have this cool, collected style, rapping about hardcore, emotional life situations. 


LKJ is regarded as one of the predecessors to modern day rap, and I sure am glad I got this album.


Here's some of his work.

No comments: