Friday, January 13, 2012

Mmmm Breakfast!

Well, like I mentioned a few weeks ago, I started a little exercise routine. Check it out here. I've doubled and increased it over the past few weeks a few times, so I'm starting to see and feel results. >YAY<

Sometimes I just felt so exhausted later in the day, and so hungry, that I knew that I must have be doing something wrong. It definitely comes down to what you are eating to sustain your body after all of this physical stuff! 

I normally do my exercise before breakfast and then would follow it with oats, but was I still feeling SO TIRED. I did some research and turns out that eggs are the perfect breakfast. Poached, boiled, scrambled, fritatta style, whipped up into an omelette, any old eggs!

My favourite is poached eggs, but they are quite tricky, nay impossible when done the traditional way, to make, so I thought I'd share a little tip with you! CLING FILM!


Here's a step by step guide. You can thank me later...



STEP 1: Line a ramekin with a square of cling film
STEP 2: Drop a tiny bit of veggie oil onto the clingfilm, making the film is covered nicely. Then crack an egg into it
STEP 3: Twist the clingfilm shut 
STEP 4: Lower the pouch into a pan half-filled with simmering water, cook for three minutes
STEP 5: Submerge the whole thing in iced water. 
Once it has cooled down enough, turn the film out, and VOILA, amazing poached eggs!
Yum! Boyfriend, take me for eggs benedict NOW!

SO here's the proper way to do it, it's all about whirling the water into a small hurricane like affair. Let me know if you get it right, it's so damn hard!

The perfect poached egg - recipe *poached* from Felicity Cloake

Large pinch of salt
1 large fresh egg, preferably organic 
1 drop of malt or white wine vinegar (optional)

1. Half fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add a hefty pinch of salt.
2. Meanwhile, crack the egg into a small jug or bowl and add a drop of vinegar.
3. Stir the boiling water vigorously with a balloon whisk until you have a whirlpool then immediately slip the egg into the centre, lowering the jug a couple of centimetres into the water.
4. Turn the heat down low, and cook for three minutes – use a timer to prevent overcooking.
5. Drain the egg on kitchen paper, and serve immediately. If you're poaching it in advance, drop it straight into a bowl of iced water instead, or it will carry on cooking; to reheat, simply warm the egg through in a pan of gently simmering water.


If this is all too much effort for you, get yourself a pair of these - silicone egg poachers. I saw a pair at AtHome, and I will be buying them in the not too distant future. Easy and cute. 


No comments: