Sunday, March 25, 2012

Warm and Fuzzies

Remember when you were a kid and you had that one cd/band that you were absolutely in love with? When you played their one cd over and over again, for days on end? When a certain song made your heart skip a beat and you felt all warm and fuzzy? I just got that feeling while my iPod was on shuffle and FOD by Greenday randomly played.


The cd that kind of defined what your place in life is gonna be?

For me that cd was Greenday's Dookie. I was about 14 and totally in love with the idea of a liberal, stand up for your rights kind of music. To be opinionated and questioning in a little town where the norm was to follow the herd and do what you're told, was an exhilarating and emancipating feeling. I believe the correct term is fuck yeah!

The whole punk rock thing defined who I was throughout high school, and shaped who I was to be become. A kickass, strongly willed adult. I had this urge to be a little bit different and being the arty punky kid emotional teenager was how I expressed myself.

Listening to the punk rock music (said in my best Blink 182 nasal accent) really was the best thing I ever did for myself. Being a bit outspoken, and having the supportive family that I do, I learnt to question society's 'ideals' and draw a little outside of the lines.

Here's to kids making awesome music and inspiring a nation, nay, the world's youngest little free thinkers.

Don't stop sticking it to the man.

"Seventeen and strung out on confusion
Trapped inside a roll of disillusion
I found out what it takes to be a man
Now mom and dad will never understand "

No comments: