Friday, June 10, 2011

Fascination

You may or may not have noticed that I love food. Not love, like ordinary people. I dream about designing meals, menus and find food presentation exciting. (I know - NERD.)

So, when I was researching some trends for the menu at work, I stumbled across this little baby.

The Bento box. A traditional Japanese packed lunch.

The Bento Box stems from the old Japanese belief that food show appeal to all the senses. The food is found unappealing if it does not have flavour, colour, or isn't presented well.

Every Japanese mom must master this artform, and takes pride in preparing her bentos for her family
every morning.

And this is where it gets exciting ( for me at least). The Japanese have invented kyaraben, or character bento. Making bentos with manga, cartoon and animal themes. Imagine being a kid and opening your lunch box to find these!








Fact of the day.

Did you know, the Shokado bento box, a black laquered box, inspired the IBM Thinkpad? Rad!






It's not as hard as it looks, as it's mostly rice, fresh veg and leftovers. Dont forget the little sweetie for dessert!



Feel free to send me these at work. I wont complain. Promise?

Xoxo

Til next time me dearies

No comments: